Monday, January 4, 2010

?! Fuku Buku Ro !?

In Japan, New Year's Day is something along the lines of Thanksgiving, a family day. So keeping with tradition, the three couples who went to Yokota for the weekend, complete with 4 teenage boys, hit the mall. We discovered fuku buku ro. I'm spelling it phoenetically, and that's my best guess.
>>>
So, the deal is this... merchants prepare grab bags at different prices, but always a good deal. Here are a couple of young guys hawking their merchandise. And notice the English signs, 10,000 yen is about $112 at the current exchange rate.
>>>
It begins on January 1st and continues for several days, depending on the store. We didn't indulge in the event, but our friends and the boys took to it like Mickey to Minnie.
>>>
A store called Victoria caught my eye (maybe lingerie?). Nope, sportswear. Since the kids wanted sportswear, they chose from the Fuku Buku Ro, and did pretty well, bargain-wise. Jay Schlesinger got a gym bag filled with clothes and a tiny towel. So everyone was happy.
>>>
Typical mall - jewelry, clothing, electronics, gift shops, food court and theatres. Prices are a little different. A movie can cost $20 per ticket, and I don't even know what the snack bar sells, but I'm guessing it's not cheap.

Guess what they sell here. Go ahead, I have no idea. I took this photo from across the mall on the third floor so I didn't actually walk by it. It's fun to speculate though, isn't it?

Melon soda is fast becoming Allan's favorite soft drink. It's made by Fanta, and I like it pretty well myself, although I'm not sure it's really melon flavored.
>>>
So the year of the ox is past and the year of the tiger begins.
>>>
In two weeks, another ski trip and Allan has a few more adventures planned for January. I'm struggle to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment