Saturday, October 17, 2009

Oktoberfest and Yokohama

Oktoberfest in Yokohama. And we were there. It's a beautiful, modern city known for two things, its shopping district and its Chinatown. We didn't get to either, but there's plenty of time - we've got 3yrsinjapan.
>>>
We rode the train to Yoko- hama, and walked toward the port. Is this a modern day rickshaw? That's the first I've seen.
>>>
From here, we could hear music coming from a tent that overflowed with people.
>>>
We had taken the train with Craig and Karen. We met up with Chris, who lives in Yokohama and Mark and Haromi, who'd left Yokosuka early so that Haromi could hunt for Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
>>>
The tent was filled with Japanese singing along with the band, eating bratwurst, sauerkraut, soft pretzels and a dozen other German dishes . . .
>>>

. . . and drinking some very expensive beer - 1300 yen ($14.77).
>>>
I lived in Germany in the 70s, so I recognized the German glasses with a short line just below the top with '500 ml ' printed next to it, so you know you're buying 1/2 liter of beer. No plastic here. You could choose from steins, stem or pilsner glasses with brightly painted labels, and pay a 1000 yen ($11.43) deposit for their use.
>>>
These were beautiful glasses and I considered keeping ours, but there's not much room for tchotchkes (nicknaks) in Japanese houses.

Wherever you are, $14.77 is a LOT for a beer, but we're on vacation so we're having fun.

After eating and drinking, Karen and I took a stroll through shops in a renovated warehouse where I found something called Yokohama glass, a bit like Swarovski crystal. Of course I bought a little bauble.
The sales lady wrapped the package and put on a small ribbon and seal. Some other items come wrapped from the factory. A sample item is displayed and you choose the wrapped box with the corresponding description. I bought a pair of socks that were white on the top, and the bottom looked like red ballet slippers.
This isn't an unusual site, seeing very traditional attire in the street next to modern dress. These two ladies were in the shops.

On our walk back to the train, we entered an area called Queen's Square. (What Queen?) The main feature is a ferris wheel. On the quarter hour, there's a light show on the wheel that goes on for about 5 minutes.
>>>
Inside the shopping area, we strolled through Hello Kitty. People here are animal lovers, and Hello Kitty is everywhere. We both need slippers, we'll live in a Japanese house. I found some, but Allan thought $40 for Hello Kitty slippers was a bit much, since slippers sell for $5 at most places. Then we found a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop. Haromi is a bit obsessed with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. She and Mark had stopped earlier, but the wait was 30 minutes (apparently Haromi isn't the only Japanese person obsessed with Krispy Kreme). Here, with three people boxing up doughnuts, the wait wasn't much shorter, but the six of us insisted on waiting with her. She and Chris each bought a dozen.
>>>
We've met such great people here. We had great fun in Yokohama. I hope we get to go Oktoberfest again next year.
>>>
I had my first job interview, for a position teaching English to children. During the interview I sang 'Old McDonald'. They weren't sure I knew American nursery rhymes. They apparently liked my singing, because I was offered the position, but it turned out they only needed me about 4 hours a week, so I'm still looking. I plan to apply at the DOD schools for a substitute position also.

No comments:

Post a Comment